Our Story and Purpose
Founded in December 2012 by a collection of young and energetic Ohio State faculty, postdocs and staff, the STEAM Factory is a diverse and inclusive grass-roots network in the Ohio State community that facilitates creative and interdisciplinary collaboration, innovation and dissemination.
To learn more about the work of the STEAM Factory, download our STEAM Factory 2016 Annual Report.
The twin cores of STEAM Factory activity are Collaboration and Dissemination.
The STEAM Factory provides a space where researchers from all disciplines can broaden their perspectives, share resources, spark creative research ideas and form collaborations across areas of common interest.
Both formal and informal activities help members to:
- Enhance professional development by sharing research skills, pedagogical resources, equipment, grantwriting expertise and other items that may enhance faculty success throughout their careers. This can be especially useful for new members of the Ohio State community;
- Learn about current research questions and opportunities for collaboration across all disciplines through a variety of activities including monthly STEAM Exchanges; and
- Get support for establishing collaborations via seed funding, proposal-writing assistance, and links to other resources.
The STEAM Factory helps to bridge the gap between Ohio State and the Columbus community through research dissemination and outreach that is accessible, approachable and combines formal and informal learning.
Finding creative ways to reach and engage the Columbus community—such as the Franklinton Fridays at 400 West Rich—helps to:
- Increase the public impact of academic research, by reaching a demographic who might not be accessible via traditional methods based at Ohio State, and by establishing connections with artists and other creatives;
- Garner critical feedback on research in progress; and
- Provide a marketing channel for raising awareness of the work done by individual members, the STEAM Factory as an entity and the greater Ohio State community.
- To provide opportunities for collaboration that enhance and drive innovation within all research disciplines;
- To provide linkages and interdisciplinary interactions between Ohio State departments and colleges; and
- To increase the public awareness, understanding and impact of Ohio State research
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files. If you need them in a more accessible file format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.