The twin cores of STEAM Factory activity are Collaboration and Dissemination.
STEAM Factory provides a space where researchers from all disciplines can broaden their perspectives, share resources, spark creative research ideas and form collaborations across areas of common interest.
Both formal and informal activities help members to:
- Enhance professional development by sharing research skills, pedagogical resources, equipment, grantwriting expertise and other items that may enhance faculty success throughout their careers. This can be especially useful for new members of the Ohio State community;
- Learn about current research questions and opportunities for collaboration across all disciplines through a variety of activities including monthly STEAM Exchanges; and
- Get support for establishing collaborations via seed funding, proposal-writing assistance, and links to other resources.
STEAM Factory helps to bridge the gap between Ohio State and the Columbus community through research dissemination and outreach that is accessible, approachable and combines formal and informal learning.
Finding creative ways to reach and engage the Columbus community—such as the Franklinton Fridays at 400 West Rich—helps to:
- Increase the public impact of academic research, by reaching a demographic who might not be accessible via traditional methods based at Ohio State, and by establishing connections with artists and other creatives;
- Garner critical feedback on research in progress; and
- Provide a marketing channel for raising awareness of the work done by individual members, STEAM Factory as an entity and the greater Ohio State community.
To learn more about the work of STEAM Factory, download our 2021 Comprehensive Annual Report.