Associate Professor, English
42 Denney Hall
164 W. 17th Ave.
Areas of Expertise
- Language Processing
- Language and Digital Media, Mass Media and Popular Culture
- Sociolinguistics of Orthography
- Ph.D., University of Michigan
- M.A., University of Virginia
- B.A., American University
Lauren Squires conducts research on English language variation, sociolinguistic perception, and language and media. Lauren is particularly interested in how notions of "standard" English are produced and reinforced across communicative contexts, how they manifest in real-time language processing, and what this tells us about the structure of linguistic and social knowledge. She has published articles in Language in Society, Journal of Sociolinguistics, Language and Cognitive Processes, American Speech, and Journal of English Linguistics, and her chapters appear in several edited volumes.